Avocado toast with Za’atar
A simple quick meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner that can be whipped up in 15 minutes….Avocado Toast, with poached eggs, Zaatar, arugula, radish and meyer lemon. Easy and tasty!
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
- 1 ripe medium-large avocado
- 1 Meyer lemon- zest and juice (or use regular lemon)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil – divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices wholesome bread
- ½ cup baby arugula
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Eggland’s Best Eggs (large) – cracked into a small bowl
- pinch salt and pepper
- generous pinch Zaatar spice (or sub cumin, sumac, or coriander)
- Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
- Set a medium pot, filled with two inches of lightly salted water with a teaspoon of white vinegar (optional) to boil on the stove.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, taking care to keep yolks intact, set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon zest, the juice from half a lemon, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper and stir and mash with a fork to combine. It does not need to be smooth. Taste. Adjust salt, you want this to be slightly salty and lemony.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the water is boiling turn heat down so it’s just simmering. Give a stir, and slip the Eggland’s Best Eggs right into the simmering water, gently stirring in a circular motion around the eggs.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until egg white is set. Turn heat off.
- Spread ½ of the avocado mixture on the toast. Top with sliced radish. Top with a mound of baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, a little lemon, and salt.
- Using a slotted spoon place the poached egg over the dressed arugula.
- Sprinkle the Eggland’s Best Egg with salt, pepper and a generous pinch of Zaatar spice.
- Add chili flakes if you like.